Exeter Leukaemia Fund (ELF) is a registered charity providing vital support to patients with blood cancer and other disorders who attend the Haematology Centre at the Royal Devon and Exeter Hospital (RD&E).
ELF was founded in 1980 by Dr Miles Joyner, a consultant haematologist at the RD&E, who wanted to improve the lives of patients with blood cancer and other disorders through improved facilities, better equipment and the funding of research. Registered as a charity in 1987, today ELF is the leading patient-led support organisation for families affected by blood cancer in the South West. We:
- Helped fund and build the Haematology Centre
- Funded the building of a critical care unit at the RD&E's Yarty ward, the Chevithorne family suite
- Funded Haematological research projects
- Funded NHS nurses and support roles
- Fund specialist equipment and fittings for the Haematology Centre
- Provide a range of support services for patients and their families at the RD&E and in their own homes.
We believe that every patient affected by blood cancer is entitled to compassionate, tailored support throughout their journey, from initial diagnosis, during treatment and after treatment, at hospital and at home.